John Muir, considered the Father of our National Park system, inspired an appreciation for and a desire to protect the natural beauty in our country; his legacy is part of the inspiration for our program. Some of the tenants of Outdoor Education at St. Clement’s include:
- Different locations for each trip kindle an appreciation for the beauty in God’s creation of the natural world.
- Each trip is integrated into the grade’s curriculum and cross-curricular connections exist in language arts, science, social studies, math and Spanish.
- A spiritual component through devotionals for every trip begins with a blessing in chapel before students travel and begin with a blessing upon arrival at their destination.
- A real-world environment becomes a practical classroom for leadership and life skills.
- We are excited to take advantage of the wealth of resources in our own geographical region. We visit world-renowned National Parks and Historic Sites that others may need to travel from all over the world to experience.
- Much more than a series of field trips, the program complements our mission to educate the whole child.